Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Quick Review: Sigma 28mm f2.8 Mini Wide II OM mount

Yep... I am into manual lenses if you ask me. I love these gems... they are sharp, they give great contrast, they are cheap. They lack IS, OS, VR, VC or whatever stabilization system though, and most are not weather proof... and they don't even have autofocus.

But if you know how to use them well... they can yield results that are incredible.

And this time round, I am shooting a Sigma 28mm f2.8 Mini Wide II OM mount... being an OM mount I needed to use a special adapter to adapt it to my EOS 7D.

Anyway, this lens is not as sharp as Olympus native 50mm or 28mm lens. It is pretty soft if you ask me. But I generally find it quite alright. It is a closeup lens too and for that price (S$40 from ebay) it is a steal.







Well as you can see... it really can take some pretty close up shots on the grasshopper. And the amount of detail it can resolve is incredible.

Focusing with this little gem is also a breeze...










One of my colleagues being caught unaware when I sneak a shot... but the darn 7D is so large that he soon realise that I am aiming at him... hence the looking up and stunned look.

Colour resolution is good, and very natural... I am not seeing any weird out of the way colour reproduction from this lens.



CA is also well control... almost cannot seen any at all.

Like all manual lens, you would need some practice to get use to... but once you got the hand of it, shooting sports is not difficult at all.



All in all... I enjoyed this lens a lot. It is not heavy, it had excellent built quality and it is an excellent value. The only problem is... it is not as sharp as I would have like. But... hey, for that money, it is a good and worthwhile purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment